Appeon is committed to revamping PowerBuilder into the most productive tool to build Cloud Apps for .NET. We are following open standards and open source as much as possible. We are providing migration solutions to minimize the cost of modernizing existing projects. And you are scheduled to receive PowerBuilder roadmap features in agile 6-12 month cycles.
Cloud App Architecture
Cloud Features by Version
From the moment Appeon took over PowerBuilder from SAP, we began to “cloudify” the PowerScript desktop app. But we also listened to our customers and enhanced existing client/server project features in every single major version. Today, PowerBuilder 2019 already delivers a compelling solution for cloud app development, and with each new version it just gets better and better.
- Transform the PowerScript desktop app into a viable cloud consumer for REST APIs.
- Key cloud-related features include HTTP and REST client, JSON handling, encryption, hashing, and OAuth client (supporting tokens).
- Other key features include Windows 10 compatibility, Git/SVN integration, native PDF generation, and PostgreSQL compatibility.
Cloud Development & Migration
- Rapidly develop C# REST APIs and assemblies with a cloud-native architecture using DataWindow technology and migration tools.
- Key cloud-related features include various non-visual C# project types, .NET DataStore, enhanced REST Client, ASP.NET Core integration, and PowerScript-to-C# migration solution.
- Other key features include UI Theme, RibbonBar Control, TX TextControl (RichTextEdit engine), enhanced 64-bit compatibility, file compression/decompression, new WebBrowser control, and natively calling .NET libraries.
Cloud Desktop Deployment
- Deploy PowerScript desktop apps, which are powered by C# REST APIs, seamlessly over the Internet. The desktop and web converged.
PowerBuilder 2019 Revisions
Based on customer feedback, Appeon typically revises a major version of PowerBuilder a few times to enhance its key features, introduce new minor features, and arrive at a long-term support version.
Since revisions are based on customer feedback, we are not able to publish a detailed or complete feature list or exact release date. However, we have outlined key focus areas for the revisions of PowerBuilder 2019 such that you have a sense of what may possibly come in the near future. And you can expect to receive revisions of PowerBuilder 2019 in agile 6-12 month cycles.
PowerBuilder 2019 R3 – Revision Focus
Enhancing C# Development
Some or all of the following features may possibly be included in the upcoming 2019 R3 to enhance C# development, which was first introduced in PowerBuilder 2019:
- C# debugger enhancement;
- .NET Core 3.0/3.1;
- Asynchronous programming;
- Support more databases, such as AWS Aurora and Azure SQL databases.
Some or all of the following features may possibly be included in the upcoming 2019 R3 to improve the productivity of developing PowerScript apps in the PowerBuilder IDE:
- Separate PB runtime from IDE;
- 64-bit debugging;
- One license logging in multiple versions on the same machine.
Some or all of the following features may possibly be included in the upcoming 2019 R3 to enhance the UI/UX of PowerScript apps:
- UI Theme settings;
- RibbonBar control.
Some or all of the following features may possibly be included in the upcoming 2019 R3 to enhance PowerScript app integration with non-PowerScript apps:
- Enhance RESTClient so it supports all DataWindow types;
- Call VB.NET assemblies from PowerScript app;
- Enhance the PowerScript integration with WebBrowser.
Some or all of the following features may possibly be included in the upcoming 2019 R3 to enhance REST API security:
- Support TLS 1.3;
- Support HTTP/2;
- Authentication using mutual auth certificate.